Internships & Careers
Take charge of your potential and your path to career success.
When it comes to finding a career that’s right for you, preparation and a strong foundation are key. It's important to take full advantage of all of the resources and opportunities that are available to you in determining your career path.
LR faculty and university staff are dedicated to your success. Whether you attend classes in Hickory, Asheville or Columbia or you attend LR online, the same resources and services are available to you through the Career and Professional Development Center.
Career & Professional Development Center
The Alex Lee Career and Professional Development Center, located in Schaeffer Hall, can help you discover your true personality, explore academic majors and career options, assess your strengths and weaknesses, find internships and part-time work and prepare for life after graduation.
The center has partnerships with local companies and organizations to provide opportunities for you to work alongside professionals in the field.
As an LR student and graduate, you receive free career counseling for life. So if you are looking for employment, want to update your resume, negotiate a raise or have your eye on a promotion, the center is always available as a resource to prepare you for what is next.View Career & Professional Development Center
Education at LR extends beyond the classroom. Through internships, you will connect what you learn in the classroom with real-life applications. You will gain valuable experience while getting an in-depth look at your field of study.
Internships Provide Real-World Experience
Internships allow you to:
- Explore career paths and specialties
- Develop professionalism
- Understand how workplaces conduct business
- Learn from seasoned professionals
- Gain feedback from coworkers and leaders
- Network with future employers
- Boost your resume and marketability
Internship Opportunities by Major
College of Business and Economics
Contact the faculty member
- Accounting, Business, Finance, International Business, Management and Marketing - firstname.lastname@example.org
College of Education and Human Services
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling (MA) - email@example.com
- Elementary Education Coordinator - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Instructional Studies (non-public settings) - email@example.com
- Middle Grades Education Coordinator - firstname.lastname@example.org
- School Counseling (MA) - email@example.com
- Teaching (MAT) - firstname.lastname@example.org
College of Fine Arts and Communication
- English - email@example.com
- Graphic Design - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Multimedia Communication - email@example.com
- Music - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Theatre - email@example.com
- Visual Art - firstname.lastname@example.org
College of Health Sciences
- Community Health (BS) - email@example.com
- Dietetic Internship Program - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nursing - email@example.com
- Occupational Therapy (MS) - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Public Health (MPH) - email@example.com
- Exercise Science (BS) - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Exercise Science (MS) - email@example.com
- Sports Management - firstname.lastname@example.org
College of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Criminal Justice - email@example.com
- Foreign Language - firstname.lastname@example.org
- History - email@example.com
- Human and Community Service - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Political Science, Politics and Law, International Affairs - email@example.com
- Psychology - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Religious Studies (for academic credit) - email@example.com
- Religious Studies (non- academic credit) - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sociology - email@example.com
College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics
- Biology - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chemistry - email@example.com
- Computer Science - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Engineering Physics - email@example.com
- Environmental Science and Policy - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Information Technology - email@example.com
- Mathematics - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Medical Studies - email@example.com
- Natural Sciences - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sustainability Studies (MS) - Asheville - email@example.com
Funding for Internships
Thanks to a Truist Foundation grant, Lenoir-Rhyne undergraduate students can apply for small grants to help pay for internship-related expenses.
You can apply for grants ranging from a few hundred dollars up to a few thousand dollars to help cover expenses like temporary housing, commuting costs and work-appropriate clothing. You also can apply for funding to offset lost income while you pursue an unpaid or under-paid internship.
Applications for the 2023-24 year are open August 15, and grants will be available for undergraduate students only.Application
The Lutheran College Washington Semester provided a real-world work experience for me. It offers the priceless opportunity to work and see D.C. while making important contacts and relationships.